Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Dr Hans Asenbaum is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance at the Institute for Governance and Policy Analysis. His research interests include identity and inclusion in new participatory spaces, digital politics, and theories of deliberative, participatory and radical democracy. His work has been published in the American Political Science Review, New Media & Society, Communication Theory, Politics & Gender, the European Journal of Social Theory, and Political Studies. Hans is Co-convener of the Participatory and Deliberative Democracy Specialist Group of the Political Studies Association in the UK.
After defending his thesis at the University of Westminster, he held a position as Research Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Sustainability Studies in Potsdam, Germany. He has been invited for research visits and public lectures in Germany, Brazil, and Australia and received several grants and scholarships.
1. Asenbaum, H. (2020). Making a Difference: Toward a Feminist Democratic Theory in the Digital Age. Politics & Gender, 16(1), 230–257. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1743923X18001010
2. Mendonça, R. F., Ercan, S. A., & Asenbaum, H. (2020). More than Words: A Multidimensional Approach to Deliberative Democracy. Political Studies, 0(0), 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1177/0032321720950561
3. Asenbaum, H. (2020). The Politics of Becoming: Disidentification as Radical Democratic Practice. European Journal of Social Theory, 24(1), 86–104. https://doi.org/10.1177/1368431020935781
4. Asenbaum, H. (2019). Rethinking Digital Democracy: From the Disembodied Discursive Self to New Materialist Corporealities. Communication Theory, 0(0), 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1093/ct/qtz033
5. Asenbaum, H. (2018). Anonymity and Democracy: Absence as Presence in the Public Sphere. American Political Science Review, 112(3), 459–472. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003055418000163
Full list of publications available in GoogleScholar. https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=V34MBIIAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao