Lucy J. Parry
Senior Research Associate
Subject 1, Subject 2, Subject 3
Lucy J. Parry is a Research Associate at the Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance. She is currently the project manager of Monitoring Deliberative Integrity in Australia and a collaborator on the Australian citizens’ jury on genome editing. Prior to her current role she was a Research Associate with Participedia and has documented hundreds of cases and methods of democratic innovation around the world on their crowd-sourced, open access database.
Her research interests include deliberative systems, deliberative mini-publics and democratic innovations, and animal ethics. Uniting these areas is a commitment to bring deliberative theory and practice together, along with her methodological expertise in Q Methodology. She has authored a number of publications and presented her research at international conferences in Australia, Austria and the U.K. Her current research explores the impacts and integrity of deliberative mini-publics.
1. Parry, L.J., Asenbaum, H. & Ercan, S.E. (2020). Democracy in flux: a systemic view on the impact of COVID-19. Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy, vol ahead of print, no. Ahead of print. https://doi.org/10.1108/TG-09-2020-0269
2. Parry, L.J. & Ercan, S.E. (2020). Using Participedia to study the impacts of mini-publics. Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance Working Paper 2020/02. Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance. https://www.governanceinstitute.edu.au/centres/deliberative-democracy-and-global-governance/working-paper-series
3. Parry, L.J., Alver, J. & Thompson, N. (2019). Democratic Innovation in Australasia. In Elstub, S. & Escobar, O. (2019). Handbook of Democratic Innovation and Governance. Elgar Publishing. https://doi.org/10.4337/9781786433862
4. Parry, L.J. (2019). Discourses on foxhunting in the public sphere: a Q methodological study. British Politics. 14, 290-310. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41293-018-0089-5
5. Parry, L.J. (2017). Don’t put all your speech-acts in one basket: situating animal activism in the deliberative system. Environmental Values, 26(4), 437-455. https://doi.org/10.3197/096327117X14976900137340
Full list of publications available in GoogleScholar.
1. Tutor, Language Center, Webster Vienna Private University. 2017-present.
2. Tutor, Public Policy and Administration, Faculty of Business, Government and Law, University of Canberra. 2017.
3. Graduate Teaching Assistant, History of Western Political Thought, Department of Politics, University of Sheffield. 2014-2016.
1. Co-editor, BroadAgenda, 50/50 by 2030 Foundation, 2017.
1. Parry, L.J., Asenbaum, H., and Ercan, S. (2021) Recipes for democratic participation during the pandemic: from anti-lockdown protest to a participatory system. Agora. 15 March.
3. Curato, N. and Parry, L.J. (2017) Deliberative Democracy must rise to the threat of populist rhetoric. The Conversation. 7 June.